"We have to love until it hurts. It is not enough to say, I love." We must put that love into a living action, and how do we do that? By giving until it hurts." Mother Teresa

Sunday, August 30, 2009

End of another week

Last week was rough. Between meetings almost every day (before school and sometimes during my prep..grr) and fearing that my laptop died I am glad that it is over, and there is a new week starting. This weekend I set goals to get more unpacked, but teaching got in the way. Saturday I spent 6 hours grading, and tonight I went into work to get stuff done. However I did just get my last box of books unpacked (yay!)

This included my first phone call to a parent. It was not an overall negative experience, but it will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Friday was payday..thank God! After work I went out with some teachers for an early dinner (like before the early bird special early) and some drinks. There are two groups of teachers at the school, the group I tend to hang out, and then the older teachers. I have nothing against the older teachers, but some of them are just plain mean. They are mean to students and other students. Right now I am trying to stay away from negative Nancys, and some of those teachers just need to move on with their lives. Not all of the older teachers are mean/grouchy. There are a few that I like, and enjoy eating lunch with them.

I picked a mentor teacher. She has been teaching one year longer than I have, but she is the teacher that I go to more than anyone else so I figured that she should be the one getting paid to listen to me. We are both teaching English. She has only eighth grade, where as I have a mix. We are planning on meeting at least weekly to coordinate what we are doing in class. I should also say that she is older than I am, and has three kids. So it is not like I am choosing someone that is only a year older than I am.

Okay well I need to pick a book to read during class...any suggestions?

No comments: